“He is very CRAZY!” Sponsors tell comedian Chipukeezy: But you won’t believe why! Look

Thursday, 24 December 2015 - After a successful world tour, that saw him give solo performances in five different cities, renowned Kenyan comedian, Chipukeezy has now decided to reveal some of the challenges and lessons he faced and learnt during the one of a kind event.

Speaking during a recent media interview, the Kiss Fm presenter disclosed that the greatest lesson he learnt from his trip was that comedy was an international language that can be understood by many regardless of their backgrounds.

“I have learnt from all these shows that comedy is a language spoken by everyone. It is universal. Everyone understands a joke and will laugh and bond over a good one. People showed up to my Rwanda and Uganda shows to show support for my craft, this is more so considering the fact that some had not seem me perform before and some did not know who I am. This is amazing because they wanted comedy and they got it.” Chipukeezy revealed.

However, the fast-rising comedian was quick to point out that organizing his five city-one-man-stand-up tour that was dubbed ‘I Know Who I Am’ was not a walk in the park. 

According to the comic, coming up with content that would appeal to his varied audience was among the various challenges he faced. 

He added that he also faced a huge challenge in securing sponsors, as many considered him crazy when he floated his idea to them.

“It was not easy coming up with the material for the tours, I had six scriptwriters who helped customise content for each city. Traditionally, comedians are contracted by promoters in the various cities to come over and do a show, but I wanted to change that. I wanted to do something different for my tour. I decided to organise it and get sponsors. It will be the first ever stand up show to be recorded live, outside of Kenya.” The comedian said.

He continued, “Getting the sponsors was not easy, they called me crazy when they heard my plans of holding a show outside the country, on my own. I started planning with zero bob in my pocket. That, however, did not stop them — they were impressed by my resolve and they joined as sponsors.”

The tour bagged a long list of sponsors that included ABC Bank, Mosound, Stima Sacco, Kenya Airways and Mount Kenya University.


Next year the comedian has shows scheduled for Nairobi, Kisii, Eldoret and Qatar.  

Additional reporting Word Is

Post a Comment

0 Comments