Football legend, RUUD GULLIT, reacts after Dutch fans did 'blackface' in an attempt to dress up as him at 2024 Euro amid severe racism backlash


Friday, June 21, 2024
 - Football legend, Ruud Gullit has reacted after a group of Dutch fans dressed up as him during the Netherlands' 2-1 win over Poland.

The group of fans faced severe backlash for the 'blackface' as they tried to imitate Gullit in the stands for their country's opening Euro 2024 fixture.

They had painted their faces black, wore dreadlocks similar to his iconic hairstyle, and also sported moustaches to imitate him, a practice that is seen as many as racist.

However, Gullit didn't seem to mind at all as he claimed 'I actually feel honoured' according to Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.

He is a Dutch legend and won the 1988 European Championship with the nation. The three fans wore replica kits from that team as part of their outfit.

Following the backlash, however, one of the fans, Bart van de Ven, has pledged to 'retire' his 'Rasta Ruud' persona, according to DutchNews.

'Maybe I made a mistake or it's a blind spot. The last thing I want to do is hurt people and that's why I've decided to stop,' he said.

'I've had a lot of really nice responses as well, but clearly there is a group who feel differently,' he said. 'I have to respect that and listen to it. The last thing I want is for people to have a certain unpleasant association with my act.'

Post a Comment

0 Comments